Sunday, October 23, 2022

Free Weekly Instant Tournament - October 21 - Board 1

Board 1
Neither vulnerable

♠ K J 9 8 6   A 10 2   A K  ♣ A 10 3  

Two passes to me. I open with one spade, intending to raise one notrump to two. I don't get the chance. LHO bids four clubs, which is passed back to me.

I can hardly pass, since partner could easily have a hand that will produce game. While I'm not a fan of offshape take-out doubles, they are less of a problem at a high level, since partner is freer to pass the double without a clear direction. Let's hope that if partner bids diamonds, he won't be disappointed with ace-king doubleton for support.

I double, and partner bids four hearts. Everyone passes, and RHO leads the club seven


NORTH
Phillip
♠ K J 9 8 6
A 10 2
A K
♣ A 10 3






SOUTH
Robot
♠ 2
K J 8 6 4 3
10 9 7 6 4
♣ 6


West North East South
Robot Phillip Robot Robot



Pass
Pass 1 ♠ 4 ♣ Pass
Pass Double Pass 4
(All pass)


If I pick up the trump suit, I have six hearts, one club, and two diamonds for nine tricks. I should be able to find a tenth trick in either diamonds or spades.

How should I play trumps? Since East has at least seven clubs and probably eight, West is a favorite to hold the heart queen. So my best play is a low heart to the king then a heart to the ten. Even if this finesse loses, all is not lost. At least I'll have a trump left in dummy to ruff a diamond with.

I play the heart deuce from dummy--seven--king--five. Now a low heart--nine--ten--club eight. On the heart ace, East pitches the club five.

I'm up to nine tricks. I can set up a diamond trick on most layouts and two diamond tricks on some. The only danger is that East has a small singleton. Is there anything I can do if he does?

Suppose I cash the ace and king of diamonds and East shows out. Now what? The spade ace is surely onside, but setting up the spade king does me no good, since I no longer have a dummy entry with which to reach it. Perhaps I should cash one diamond, then ruff a club to my hand and play a spade. Now I have an entry to the spade king, and I still have two trumps left, so I still have enough entries to my hand to make five if the diamonds behave.

But what if I'm wrong about the spade ace? What if West plays low on my spade play and the king loses to East's ace? Now I'm in trouble. East will tap me and, with only one trump left, I can no longer establish a diamond trick. So I'm down one. It's embarrassing to go down with normal breaks by trying to guard against bad ones.

I could take the position that West will always hop with the ace if he has it and play the jack if he ducks. But if I'm wrong about that and the jack loses to the queen, I again get tapped out and go down. In fact, even if the jack loses to the ace, I could get a poor result. I make four, but if the diamonds lie favorably, declarers who unimaginatively cash the ace and king will be making five.

Cashing only one diamond doesn't seem to be a good idea. Is there another way to handle a bad diamond break? Let's say I cash both diamonds and East shows out. I ruff a club to my hand, ensuring West is out of clubs, then lead the diamond ten. West wins and, if he has the spade ace, he must give me either a diamond trick or the spade king for my tenth trick. So long as West has the spade ace, there is no need to lead a spade toward the king early.The need to retain a dummy entry was an illusion.

I cash the ace of diamonds. East plays the deuce; West, the eight. Maybe I should have cashed one diamond before doing all that thinking. Now that I've seen the eight, I have no further problems. I cash the king of diamonds, and East drops the jack. Good. Now I'm making five. I ruff a club to my hand as West pitches the spade three.

But hold on. Maybe I can make six. I still have two trumps left, so I can afford to lead a spade before driving the diamond queen in case West sees a reason to duck. Actually he might have a very good reason. What if I held a second spade instead of the diamond ten? From West's perspective, this might be the end position.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ K J 9 8 6
--
--
♣ 10


WEST
Robot
♠ A Q x x
--
Q 3
♣ --


EAST
Robot
♠ x
--
10
♣ K Q J 2


SOUTH
Robot
♠ x x
J 8
9 7
♣ --

If West hops when I lead a spade, the defense can take only one diamond trick. If he ducks, they get two. It's worth a shot. Let's hope West thinks of this layout.

I play the spade deuce, and West plays the seven. Did this actually work? Or was East overstrength for his pre-empt? I play the king, and East takes the ace. He taps me with a club and I claim eleven tricks.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ K J 9 8 6
A 10 2
A K
♣ A 10 3

WEST
Robot
♠ Q 7 5 4 3
Q 9 5
Q 8 5 3
♣ 7


EAST
Robot
♠ A 10
7
J 2
♣ K Q J 9 8 5 4 2


SOUTH
Robot
♠ 2
K J 8 6 4 3
10 9 7 6 4
♣ 6

96%! This board should be average. Even if you take "eight ever, nine never" too seriously and cash the top hearts, you still make five. You can ruff out the diamond queen, trading a diamond loser for a trump loser. It's strange that this is such a good result.

Incidentally, I don't care at all for East's four-club bid. He could easily be missing three notrump. Pre-empts are supposed to be bad hands.

2 comments: