Sunday, August 8, 2021

ACBL Daylong 1 - Jul 29, 2021 - Board 2

Board 2
Our side vulnerable

♠ A Q J 9 7 6 4   A J 9 5 4   --  ♣ A  

RHO opens one diamond. I might as well start with two diamonds with the intention of bidding lots of spades later. LHO passes, partner bids two hearts, and RHO passes. 

The right bid is three spades. That should be almost forcing, since it means I'm willing to hear a correction to four hearts. Partner is allowed to pass with a serious misfit (say, 1-2 in the majors), but most of the time he should either correct to four hearts or raise to four spades. Unfortunately, I'm not sure partner will see it that way. I'm afraid he'll pass more often than he should. With a three-loser hand, I don't want to risk missing a game, so I bid four spades. That suggests my spades are self-sufficient and I'm not really interested in a correction--that I was just showing my heart suit in case we had a good fit and could make a slam. 

Partner seems to think we can. He bids six hearts, and I pass. West leads the seven of diamonds.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ A Q J 9 7 6 4
A J 9 5 4
--
♣ A






SOUTH
Robot
♠ 2
10 7 3
A Q 10 4
♣ 10 8 7 6 4


West North East South
Robot Phillip Robot Robot
1 2 Pass 2
Pass 4 ♠ Pass 6
(All pass)


If I had my bid, this would be a good contract. As it is, it's bad but not hopeless. I need to bring in the heart suit for one loser and set up spades with no losers. Unfortunately, I don't have enough entries to make my best play in both suits. I need to compromise on one of them.

I pitch a spade from dummy, East plays the deuce, and I win with the ten. By the Rule of Eleven, East has one diamond higher than the seven, and, since he didn't play it, it's probably the eight. 

I see two options. (A) I can play a spade to the queen and ruff a spade, which is my best play in the spade suit, then hope one heart finesse is sufficient to bring home the heart suit, or (B) I can take two heart finesses, which is my best play in the heart suit, and decide later whether to take a ruffing finesse in spades or to try to drop a doubleton king on my left. (A) is problematic. Even if the spade finesse works, I'm not home yet. If the king drops doubleton when I take my ruff, I will need both heart honors on my left, else West can score an overruff when East wins his trump trick. (B) looks like the better line. For one thing, I will have a better idea who has the spade king once I find out how the trump honors are split.

I play the three of hearts--deuce--nine--king. There are 18 HCP outstanding, so there is room for the spade king in East's hand. But it is overwhelmingly likely to be on my left. So if East continues hearts, I will need to hope I can drop it with only ruff. 

East doesn't continue hearts. He shifts to the nine of clubs. West plays the three, and I win dummy's ace. No club honor from West. So he probably started with king-queen third or fourth of clubs, leaving him relatively short in the majors. If he is 2-2, 2-3, or 3-2, as seems likely at this point, I am probably making this. If the king of spades drops after one ruff, and I can take a heart finesse. If it doesn't, I will need to ruff a second spade, but then the queen of hearts will be dropping. I suspect the spade king is doubleton. East would have returned a trump if he thought I needed two ruffs.

I play ace and ruff a spade. Everyone follows, but, surprisingly, no king. I ruff a club to my hand and ruff another spade, dropping the king as East pitches the eight of diamonds. I ruff another club and cash the heart ace. The queen drops. Making six, for a 99% board.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ A Q J 9 7 6 4
A J 9 5 4
--
♣ A


WEST
Robot
♠ K 5 3
Q 2
K J 9 7 5
♣ K Q 3


EAST
Robot
♠ 10 8
K 8 6
8 6 3 2
♣ J 9 5 2


SOUTH
Robot
♠ 2
10 7 3
A Q 10 4
♣ 10 8 7 6 4


East could beat me by returning a trump at trick three. I'm not sure why he didn't. It wouldn't appear to be a difficult play to find. I don't even see what he was trying to accomplish with the club shift. It turns out line (A) would have worked by force, but I still think (B) was the percentage choice. That's especially true if East is going to misdefend anyway, rendering (A) unnecessary.

Most players bid two diamonds, then raised two hearts to four. I don't care for that auction. Spades could easily be the better game. You'd feel pretty silly if partner is two-two in the majors. Some doubled, then bid four spades over partner's two clubs, an auction I care for even less. You don't make take-out doubles with seven-fives. Even if you plan from the start to bid four spades next whatever happens, an initial two diamonds gives partner a better picture of your hand than a take-out double does. A few players actually bid correctly and reached a sensible contract: two diamonds, followed by three spades, which partner corrected to four hearts. Some overbid as I did, reaching slam on the same auction. But only two of them made it. 

Well, this was an exciting start! A grand slam and a small slam, both with some difficult choices in the play. One of the things I like about these daylong tournaments is that after a hand like this I can relax a while before going on to the next one. Stamina isn't a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment