Sunday, August 15, 2010

Match 2 - Board 16

Board 16
Opponents vulnerable

♠ A 4 2 5 4 2 10 7 6 ♣ A Q 5 3

LHO opens one notrump (15-17); RHO bids two hearts, a transfer to spades. I pass. LHO bids two spades, which is passed around to me. Without spade shortness, I have no reason to balance. I pass, and partner leads the king of hearts:


NORTH
♠ J 8 7 6 3
7 6
Q 9 8
♣ 10 6 4




EAST
♠ A 4 2
5 4 2
10 7 6
♣ A Q 5 3


West North East South
1 NT
Pass 2 1 Pass 2 ♠
(All pass)
1Jacoby-transfer


We lead ace from ace king (an agreement I don't care for). So partner should have the king-queen of hearts plus an additional five to seven high-card points. I discourage with the deuce of hearts. Declarer plays the three, and partner shifts to the eight of clubs.

I can't imagine this is a singleton, not so much from the opening lead as from the fact that partner didn't act over one notrump. If it's a doubleton, it might be useful to retain communication. I can't afford to duck this altogether, since partner might have king-nine-eight or jack-nine-eight. So, when declarer plays the four from dummy, I play the queen.

Declarer wins with the king and returns the jack of clubs, partner following with the deuce. If I could trust partner's carding, I would win and give him a club ruff. The deuce should show that he began with a doubleton, since partner should give present count here. But I know from past experience that Jack doesn't know that.

It seems more likely that declarer is trying to drill an entry to dummy to lead a trump toward his hand, and he probably wouldn't do that with king-jack fourth of clubs, because the risk of running into a ruff would be too great.

Of course, a clever declarer might lead the club jack with the specific intention of stopping a club ruff. Since declarer is off the trump ace, he knows there is no legitimate way to stop a club ruff if one is available to us. So it costs him nothing to lead the club jack, hoping I'll duck it. I myself executed a similar maneuver on Board Two of the first match. But I don't think Jack is that clever, so I duck. As soon as I duck, a paranoid thought occurs to me. Could partner have switched to a second-highest eight of clubs from nine-eight fourth? If he did, perhaps my combination of plays will teach him not to do that again.

Declarer plays the heart ace--nine--seven--five, then leads the eight of hearts. Partner plays the jack, and declarer ruffs in dummy with the six of spades. Declarer then surprises me by leading the ten of clubs. I win with the ace, and everyone follows.

Obviously I was wrong about declarer's trying to force a dummy entry, since he made no use of his entry once he was there. Have I been hornswaggled? Did he sucker me into ducking the club ace so he could endplay me with it? Maybe Jack is cleverer than I thought.

Do I have a safe exit? A spade switch will cost a trick if declarer has queen doubleton. It's safe if declarer has the king. But it seems unlikely he has the king. If he does, why didn't he lead a spade toward his hand when he was in dummy?

How about diamonds? Declarer has at least seven more high-card points. He's surely missing a spade honor, since he hasn't touched trumps. That means declarer must have at least four high-card points in diamonds. So he has either the ace or the king-jack. Either way, it can't hurt for me to switch to a diamond. Accordingly, I play the six of diamonds--five--king--eight.

Partner plays the heart queen, and declarer ruffs with the seven. As a general rule, it's wrong to overruff with a natural trump trick unless doing so allows you to separate trump tricks that will otherwise crash. That doesn't seem to be the case here, so I pitch the seven of diamonds. Declarer plays a diamond to his ace and a diamond back to the queen. I ruff, and we still have two natural trump tricks for down one:


NORTH
♠ J 8 7 6 3
7 6
Q 9 8
♣ 10 6 4


WEST
♠ Q 10 9
K Q J 9
K J 4
♣ 8 7 2


EAST
♠ A 4 2
5 4 2
10 7 6
♣ A Q 5 3


SOUTH
♠ K 5
A 10 8 3
A 5 3 2
♣ K J 9



Declarer made it easy fo us by playing diamonds. But, in fact, he had no way to avoid the ruff. This was the position, with the lead in dummy:


NORTH
♠ J 8 3
--
Q 9
♣ --


WEST
♠ Q 10 9
--
J 4
♣ --


EAST
♠ A 4 2
--
10
♣ 5


SOUTH
♠ K 5
--
A 5 3
♣ --



If he plays spades instead of diamonds, I can hop and play a diamond myself, scoring a ruff whenever partner has the spade king or when declarer has king doubleton and can't reach dummy to play the third round of trumps. (On this particular layout, I don't even have to hop with the ace. If I duck, we will eventually score my long club.) Note that it would indeed have been fatal for me to overruff dummy's seven of spades with my ace.

Declarer could have made his contract by playing on diamonds earlier. Ruffing the heart to dummy accomplished nothing and paved the way to our reaching this end position. With best defense, I don't think he can make it after he takes that first heart ruff.

We get ten matchpoints. Four pairs made two spades. One other pair went down, and one pair went down a trick in one heart. Presumably South opened one heart and bought it. It hasn't been a lucky session for weak notrumps and four-card majors--at least not for those sitting the other direction. Fortunately, partner and I have been spared those problems.

Score on Board 16: +100 (10 MP)
Total: 137 (71.4%)
Current rank: 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment