Sunday, October 10, 2010

Match 2 - Board 24

Board 24
Neither vulnerable

♠ 10 3 K Q 10 4 3 9 7 3 ♣ K Q 6

LHO opens one heart--pass--one spade to me. I pass, LHO bids two clubs, which is passed around to me. I pass, and partner leads the six of diamonds.


NORTH
♠ Q 8 6 5 2
7
A 8 5 4
♣ 7 5 3




EAST
♠ 10 3
K Q 10 4 3
9 7 3
♣ K Q 6


WestNorthEastSouth
1
Pass1 ♠Pass2 ♣
(All pass)


I'm not sure why partner is leading diamonds. This misfit auction calls for a trump lead, especially looking at short hearts. Declarer plays the eight from dummy. If declarer has queen-jack doubleton, I would like to play low so partner will know he has a safe exit with the diamond king. But it's possible declarer has queen-jack-deuce, so I suppose I should cover. I play the nine. Declarer wins with the queen and plays the four of spades. Partner plays the nine, dummy the queen, and I give count with the ten. I guess declarer did have queen-jack doubleton of diamonds. He made a good play from dummy at trick one, preventing me from clarifying the suit for partner. Partner probably ducked because he thought the spade was a singleton, and he would prefer to have me on play for either a trump shift or a second diamond.

I expect declarer to play a heart to the ace and ruff a heart, but he surprises me by leading the three of clubs. The only time it can be right for me to split is when I lose a critical tempo by playing low. Declarer is playing this hand as if he has all the time in the world. So, whatever is going on, it does not appear that tempo is important on this deal. I play the six. Declarer plays the ace, and partner follows with the eight.

Declarer cashes the heart ace--five--seven--three, then leads the heart jack (yes, the jack)--deuce--five of clubs--four. He plays a spade to the ace, as partner follows with the seven then leads the six of hearts. Partner ruffs with the ten, and declarer pitches the four of diamonds from dummy. I play the king to clarify the heart suit.

Partner plays the club jack, and we collect two trumps and two heart tricks, holding declarer to his contract.


NORTH
♠ Q 8 6 5 2
7
A 8 5 4
♣ 7 5 3


WEST
♠ K J 9 7
5 2
K J 6 2
♣ J 10 8


EAST
♠ 10 3
K Q 10 4 3
9 7 3
♣ K Q 6


SOUTH
♠ A 4
A J 9 8 6
Q 10
♣ A 9 4 2



I see. Queen-ten doubleton of diamonds. Not queen-jack. Tricky.

I would guess this not a particularly good result. A routine eight of clubs lead beats two clubs. After the diamond lead, there was nothing we could do. Hopping with the spade king wouldn't help. At least it wouldn't beat it. It would help to hold it to two. Declarer should have made three once the queen of spades held. A club to the ace looked wrong, and it was. Declarer can play a heart to the ace and ruff a heart. Then a spade to the ace and another heart. Partner ruffs in and leads a trump. Declarer wins with the ace and plays another heart. Partner can ruff in again, but we can't get the last trump off the table. Declarer will score one more heart ruff for his ninth trick.

To my surprise, this result is worth ten matchpoints. No one beat two clubs, and two pairs managed to make four. I can't imagine how. Even the jack of diamonds lead doesn't give declarer four. Somehow declarer must draw trumps and hold his side-suit losses to one trick.

How about this? Diamond to the queen, spade to the queen, heart from dummy. East splits. Declarer takes his ace and ducks a trump. The defense returns a spade. Declarer wins, ruffs a heart, plays ace and ruffs a diamond, then ace and a trump, endplaying East, who has failed to unblock. No, that still doesn't work. East is down to queen-ten-small of hearts, and declarer has jack-nine-eight. So East can exit with a low heart and still score two heart tricks. I give up.

Score on Board 24: -90 (10 MP)
Total: 190 (66.0%)

Current Rank: 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment