Sunday, January 29, 2012

Event 3 - Match 4 - Board 2

Board 2
Our side vulnerable

♠ 7 6 A K J 9 8 A K 2 ♣ Q J 8

Pass to me. I open one heart, and partner responds one spade. I bid two notrump (18-19 HCP). Partner raises to three, and LHO leads the club ace.


NORTH
Jack
♠ K Q 10 9
Q 10
Q 10 5
♣ 10 6 4 3






SOUTH
Phillip
♠ 7 6
A K J 9 8
A K 2
♣ Q J 8



West North East South
Harry Jack William Phillip
Pass 1
Pass 1 ♠ Pass 2 NT
Pass 3 NT (All pass)

East plays the five of clubs, and I follow with the eight. West continues with the club king, and East plays the seven. One usually leads low from ace-king fourth. So my guess is West led from ace-king third, trying to hit his partner's suit. But then why did he continue clubs after his partner played low?

I drop the club queen (the card I'm known to hold). West continues with the nine of clubs. West must have the deuce of clubs, so it appears I was wrong about the club split. He does have four. I win in my hand as East pitches the deuce of hearts.

I've made four. If I can sneak a spade through, I'll make five. I play the spade six--deuce--queen--eight. Aha! Making five.


NORTH
Jack
♠ K Q 10 9
Q 10
Q 10 5
♣ 10 6 4 3


WEST
Harry
♠ 5 4 3 2
6 5
8 6 3
♣ A K 9 2


EAST
William
♠ A J 8
7 4 3 2
J 9 7 4
♣ 7 5


SOUTH
Phillip
♠ 7 6
A K J 9 8
A K 2
♣ Q J 8


East had the spade ace and ducked? Interesting. My counterpart made only four, so we pick up an imp.

Which club should West lead? An honor could be necessary in a layout such as


NORTH
♣ J


WEST
♣ A K 9 2


EAST
♣ 10 8 5 4


SOUTH
♣ Q 7 6 3


But, on the auction, dummy can't sensibly have a singleton club. So presumably West led the ace to cater to declarer or dummy holding a doubleton queen.

A low club is better in two scenarios: (1) It avoids blocking the suit in a layout such as


NORTH
♣ 8 6 4 3


WEST
♣ A K 9 2


EAST
♣ Q 5


SOUTH
♣ J 10 7


And (2) it retains communication if you must concede a club to establish your long trick:


NORTH
♣ 8 6 4 3


WEST
♣ A K 9 2


EAST
♣ 7 5


SOUTH
♣ Q J 10


So either high or low could be right. Which is better? It's hard to say. But there is an additional consideration. We need five tricks to beat this. If we take that fact into account, you probably don't need to lead a club at all.

You may need to lead a club if  partner has five of them. But, given dummy rates to have seven minor-suit cards, that seems unlikely. If we can take only four club tricks, partner needs a side entry, so running clubs can wait. In scenario (2), where we are after only three clubs tricks, partner needs two tricks on the side. He can use the first entry to lead a club, which you will duck, and the second entry to run the suit.

Since a club lead probably isn't necessary double dummy, why guess whether to lead a high club or a low club? If you guess wrong, you could be making the only lead that allows declarer to make his contract. So why not just lead a passive eight of diamonds?

One might raise a couple of objections to this line of reasoning. One objection is suggested by the use of the words "double dummy" in the previous paragraph. Partner might not find the club shift when he gets in. An initial club lead will certainly make things easier for him. A second objection is that the diamond lead may pickle our fifth trick. The right defense might be to cash four clubs, then wait for declarer to misguess diamonds.

As for the first objection, I'm hoping my failure to lead a club will clue partner in that I think the suit may be running off the top. Even if that message doesn't come across, it may be hard for him to construct a layout where we can take five tricks that doesn't involve running the club suit. As for the second objection, I suspect we will have a hard time beating this anyway if partner's only side trick is a slow trick in diamonds. I probably need him to have either an entry in one of the majors or the diamond ace to prevent declarer from having nine cashing tricks.

What about East's duck of the spade ace? Does that play make any sense? East knows I have all the missing high cards, including the heart jack. The only hand I can think of where I have a loser other than the spade ace is,

♠ x x A K J x A K x x ♣ Q J x.

But what does ducking accomplish? It's not as if I'm going to come to my hand and play a second spade. Instead, I'll just run my tricks and hope for a spade-diamond squeeze, which East knows is going to work. In other words, rather than duck the spade ace, East should have simply pitched the ace on the third round of clubs. He would let me make five a lot faster that way.

I'd say neither opponent was thinking very clearly on this deal. That's the way I like it. Next board, please. Before they have a chance to grab a cup of coffee.

Table 1: +660
Table 2: -630

Result on Board 2: +1 imp
Total: -7 imps

No comments:

Post a Comment