Sunday, August 19, 2012

Event 3 - Match 7 - Board 7

Board 7
Both sides vulnerable

♠ 10 6 4 2 6 4 10 8 ♣ A 10 8 7 4

I pass, LHO passes, and partner opens one notrump (12-14). RHO bids two hearts, showing five hearts and four or more cards in a minor. I pass, and LHO raises to four hearts, which ends the auction.

RHO probably has diamonds; his likeliest pattern is 3-5-4-1. I could lead a diamond, hoping for a ruff. But breaking declarer's side suit may be doing his work for him. I have no assurance that I can get a ruff or even that I need one (since partner may have slow diamond tricks anyway). I decide to go after spade tricks before they can be discarded on dummy's clubs. I lead the four of spades.


NORTH
Dimitri
♠ Q 8 5
A 8 7
A J 9 7 2
♣ 6 2


WEST
Phillip
♠ 10 6 4 2
6 4
10 8
♣ A 10 8 7 4




West North East South
Phillip Dimitri Jack Brodie
Pass Pass 1 NT 2 1
Pass 4 (All pass)
15 hearts plus a minor

Declarer's likeliest pattern isn't 3-5-4-1 any more. I don't care for North's four heart bid. The five-card diamond suit is of doubtful value opposite a heart-club two-suiter. Even the doubleton club is of doubtful value with only three trumps. I doubt there even exists a passed hand with only three hearts that is worth a raise to game. I would bid two notrump, intending to follow with three hearts to show an invitational raise (or four hearts if partner surprises me by bidding diamonds).

Declarer plays the eight from dummy. Partner plays the jack, and declarer wins with the ace. Partner presumably has the nine, else declarer would have played low from dummy. Though it can't hurt for declarer to play the eight for deceptive purposes if he has ace-nine-seven.

Declarer leads the three of diamonds. Declarer has no reason to attack diamonds with a singleton, so he is either 2-5-2-4 or 1-5-3-4. Either way, we probably have two tricks in the pointed suits plus my club ace. We need one more trick somewhere, and I suspect we have it. Declarer wouldn't be going after diamond tricks unless he needed to dispose of a club loser. Whatever his plan is to dispose of that loser, I don't think it's going to work.

I play the eight; dummy's nine forces partner's queen. Partner shifts to the club queen--king--ace--deuce. Presumably partner would have led low with queen doubleton, so he should have the club jack. That's the setting trick, and declarer still has two more clubs to try to dispose of. Too bad I couldn't double.

I might as well lead a spade through dummy's queen, so partner will have a safe exit when he wins the club jack. Obviously I must lead the ten to avoid giving partner a problem. Declarer plays the queen from dummy--king--three. I expect partner to cash the club jack, but he returns the nine of spades. Declarer ruffs with the heart deuce. Partner already knows the spade count, so I play the spade six to conceal the count from declarer.

I must be wrong about partner's having the club jack. Surely he would have cashed it if he did. Does that mean declarer is making this? Partner must have a heart higher than dummy's eight, so declarer can't ruff both clubs in dummy. Can he develop a diamond trick?

Declarer plays the five of diamonds--ten--ace--four. He has to be going down now. He can't ruff out partner's diamond king without drawing two rounds of trumps first. And, if he does that, he has no way to get back to dummy to cash the diamond.

Declarer plays the seven of hearts from dummy--five--jack--four. He cashes the jack of clubs and ruffs a club in dummy with the heart eight. Partner overruffs with the nine and returns the heart queen. I still have a club trick coming for down two.


NORTH
Dimitri
♠ Q 8 5
A 8 7
A J 9 7 2
♣ 6 2


WEST
Phillip
♠ 10 6 4 2
6 4
10 8
♣ A 10 8 7 4


EAST
Jack
♠ K J 9 7
Q 9 5
K Q 6 4
♣ Q 5


SOUTH
Brodie
♠ A 3
K J 10 3 2
5 3
♣ K J 9 3


Ruffing the club low was quite optimistic. Even if partner unexpectedly follows, declarer isn't home yet. As practical matter, it seems better to ruff with the ace and repeat the trump finesse to get out for down one. If they are in four hearts at the other table, you are throwing away three imps on a pipe dream.

The board is a push, which is disappointing. I didn't expect our teammates to reach the cold three notrump by North. But I was hoping that the one diamond opening at the other table would make it easier for them to avoid four hearts. If not, they might at least have held it to down one.

Table 1: +200
Table 2: -200

Score on Board 7: 0 imps
Total: +3 imps

No comments:

Post a Comment