Sunday, October 7, 2012

Event 3 - Match 8 - Board 6

Board 6
Opponents vulnerable

♠ 10 9 2 Q 5 4 3 J 7 4 ♣ K 8 2

RHO opens one diamond. I pass, and LHO passes. Partner reopens with a double. I bid one heart, and partner bids one notrump, presumably showing a strong notrump. I pass, and RHO leads the deuce of diamonds (fourth best).


NORTH
Phillip
♠ 10 9 2
Q 5 4 3
J 7 4
♣ K 8 2






SOUTH
Jack
♠ Q 5 4 3
A J
A 10 6
♣ A Q 7 5



West North East South
Christian Phillip Floyd Jack
1 Pass Pass Double
Pass 1 Pass 1 NT
(All pass)

Since responder won't have much to do on this deal, this would be a good time for West to falsecard on opening lead. So I wouldn't pay too much attention to the deuce against a good defender. However, I am pretty confident that Jack has four diamonds.

I play low from dummy, East plays the eight, and I win with the ten. I can't be sure where the diamond honors are. East might play the eight from queen-eight third to avoid giving me a second diamond trick if I have king-ten instead of ace-ten.

I have two diamonds, three clubs, and one heart. All I need to do is to drive the heart king to come to seven tricks. I lead the jack of hearts. West takes the king, and East follows with the seven.

West leads the king of diamonds, settling the question of where the diamond honors are. (I suppose West might lead the king without the queen in an attempt to drill an entry into his partner's hand. But how would he even know his partner has the queen?) West has shown up with eight high-card points. If West is balanced, as seems likely, he has four to six additional high-card points, leaving East with three to five.

I play low from dummy, and East follows with the five. I see no gain in winning this trick. The opponents can't cash enough tricks in spades to beat me. So I duck.

West shifts to the jack of clubs. If West wanted to defend passively, he could just play another diamond. He must be looking for a source of tricks. He is hoping to find his partner with ace-fifth of clubs and plans to take one heart, one diamond, one spade, and four clubs. There was no point in switching to a club on the previous round, since he needed one diamond to come to seven tricks.

What can I conclude about West's hand? For one thing, he is missing a spade honor. I know that because he thinks I have it. His partner could not have the club ace unless I had at least four high-card points in spades. How many clubs does West have? The shift is more attractive from jack-ten third than from a doubleton. If he has jack doubleton and his partner has ace-ten-nine fifth, I could always go up with dummy's king to block the suit. But maybe my making a mistake is the only chance West sees. So I don't think I can assume he has three clubs.

I unblock dummy's eight (leaving me the option of playing West for jack-ten or jack-nine doubleton), East plays the four, and I win with the queen.

I have seven tricks. Is there any way to take an overtrick other than bringing home the club suit? There is no danger in playing spades. The defense can take at most three spade tricks. So I might as well try it and see what happens. But I need to unblock the heart ace first before they tangle up my entries with another club play. I cash the heart ace--deuce--four--nine. It appears that either East is giving present count with nine-eight-seven or he is following up the line with ten-nine-seven.

I play the three of spades--eight--ten--jack. East returns the six of spades. Why a spade rather than a diamond? I guess he is desperately hoping that I made a weird play with queen third of spades and that the suit is running. In any event, he must have begun with four spades. He would not block the suit by leading low from honor doubleton. I play the four, and West wins with the king. If my assumptions are correct, West is 2-4-4-3 and East is 4-3-3-3.

East plays the eight of hearts. I take dummy's queen, and East follows with the ten. This is the presumed position, with me still to discard on the heart queen.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ 9
5
J
♣ K 2


WEST
Christian
♠ --
6
Q x
♣ 10 x


EAST
Floyd
♠ A 7
--
x
♣ x x


SOUTH
Jack
♠ Q 5
--
A
♣ A 7 5


I have two ways to make eight tricks. I can (A) pitch a spade and run clubs, or I can (B) pitch a club and drive the spade ace. If my construction is correct, it doesn't matter what I do. So I must assume my construction is wrong. Specifically, I must assume West has one more diamond or one more spade than I think he does. It doesn't matter which.

That makes West either four-two or three-three in hearts and clubs. In the former case, clubs aren't breaking and I must pitch a club and drive the spade ace. In the latter case, East has the good heart and I must pitch a spade and run clubs. Against these opponents, the choice is clear. There is no chance I am wrong about the heart split. A human opponent might try to mislead me about who has the long heart. But Jack would never play seven-nine-ten of hearts and hold onto the six. West must have the heart six, so I pitch a club and drive the spade ace. Making two.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ 10 9 2
Q 5 4 3
J 7 4
♣ K 8 2


WEST
Christian
♠ K 8
K 8 6 2
K Q 3 2
♣ J 10 3


EAST
Floyd
♠ A J 7 6
10 9 7
9 8 5
♣ 9 6 4


SOUTH
Jack
♠ Q 5 4 3
A J
A 10 6
♣ A Q 7 5


West was four-three in hearts and clubs as expected, so either play would have worked. The result at the other table is identical.

Table 1: + 120
Table 2: -120

Result on Board 6: 0 imps
Total: +31 imps


No comments:

Post a Comment