Sunday, November 14, 2021

Zenith Daylong - Oct 14, 2021 - Board 4

Board 4
Both vulnerable

♠ Q 10 5   10 6   9 7  ♣ J 10 9 7 3 2  

LHO passes. Partner opens one heart in second seat, and RHO overcalls with one spade. I pass. LHO bids two hearts, showing an limit raise or better in spades, and partner passes. The robots play double here as showing good hearts. Since two hearts is a spade raise, I think it makes more sense to play double as take-out of spades, but I have no say in our partnership methods. 

RHO goes on to four spades, and everyone passes. Even though partner didn't double two hearts, I see no reason not to lead his suit. I lead the heart ten.


NORTH
Robot
♠ 8 7 2
Q 9 8
K J 6 4 2
♣ A 8


WEST
Phillip
♠ Q 10 5
10 6
9 7
♣ J 10 9 7 3 2






West North East South
Phillip Robot Robot Robot

Pass 1 1 ♠
Pass 2 Pass 4 ♠
(All pass)


If declarer has a minimum acceptance, we should have a decent chance of beating this. Dummy has a minimum limit raise, including three small trumps and a wasted queen in partner's suit. And the spade queen is offside. Our prospects look good. 

Note I'm thinking about the deal in very general terms. When you have the worst hand at the table, that's the best you can do. You need some clue where the high cards are before you can construct specific layouts. Still, simply asking yourself whether the hand is going to be easy or difficult to beat can be useful.

I expect declarer to cover with the queen, but he doesn't. He plays the eight, partner plays the three, and declarer wins with the ace. If declarer had just the ace of hearts, he would have covered my ten with the queen to force a second heart trick. So declarer must have both the ace and king. Since the heart queen has turned out to be a working card, our prospects aren't so good any more. Dummy is providing three cover cards plus a possible source of tricks. It's now a sound limit raise.

What does partner's heart three mean? It should be discouraging, showing tolerance for a club shift. With neither the king nor queen of clubs, partner should encourage regardless of his heart holding. But robots don't understand this, so I can make no assumption about the club suit.

Declarer cashes the spade ace, and partner drops the jack. Declarer continues with the spade six, I follow with the ten, and partner wins with the king. Falsecarding with the queen would be an error. Not only might it fool partner, but it could only help declarer. My high cards are limited, so the more high cards he can place me with, the more he knows about the deal. 

Declarer risked our drawing dummy's last trump, so he can't have a club loser he needs to ruff. Perhaps he has a singleton or doubleton, or perhaps he has king-queen third--or even queen third if he is counting on the king to be onside.

Partner shifts to the king of clubs. He apparently has the king-queen of clubs, so that's nine or ten HCP outside of diamonds. He must have the diamond queen to have his opening bid. Also, since declarer has no club honors, I now know he has at most two clubs.

Declarer plays the club six under partner's king. I play the jack, and declarer wins with dummy's ace. Declarer plays the deuce of diamonds to his ace. Partner plays the ten, and I play the nine. The important thing in a situation like this is to card the same way with 97 doubleton as you do with Q97. It doesn't matter whether you play up the line or echo, so long as you do the same thing with either holding. I prefer to echo, since sometimes partner needs count when you have a doubleton.

Declarer plays the deuce of hearts to the queen, partner following with the seven, then cashes the diamond king--eight-- three--seven. Why isn't declarer taking a diamond finesse? Couldn't partner have his opening bid without the diamond queen? He could have my spade queen, after all. Actually, he couldn't. If he did, he would have drawn dummy's last trump before shifting to the club king. But robots don't draw inferences like that. So, from declarer's perspective, it's possible the diamond queen is onside.

Could declarer have a doubleton diamond? That would give him 5-3-2-3. But I already decided he couldn't have three clubs, so that's impossible. For whatever reason, he's convinced the diamond queen is on his right.

Declarer plays dummy's club. Partner wins with the queen as declarer follows with the five. Partner plays the four of hearts to declarer's king. I can't afford to ruff this, since I would then have to give declarer a ruff-sluff. I pitch the three of clubs. Declarer continues with a spade. I win and tap him with a club. Partner has to score his diamond queen for down one.


NORTH
Robot
♠ 8 7 2
Q 9 8
K J 6 4 2
♣ A 8


WEST
Phillip
♠ Q 10 5
10 6
9 7
♣ J 10 9 7 3 2


EAST
Robot
♠ K J
J 7 5 4 3
Q 10 8
♣ K Q 4


SOUTH
Robot
♠ A 9 6 4 3
A K 2
A 5 3
♣ 6 5


On a bad day, I might have let declarer make this. If I hadn't drawn the inference early on that declarer couldn't have three clubs, I might have been persuaded by his failure to take the diamond finesse that he was 5-3-2-3. Then, in the end position, I would think it didn't matter whether I ruffed the heart or not and might randomly choose to ruff. Of course, I shouldn't. Anytime it doesn't matter what you do when your construction is correct, you should assume it's incorrect and find some scenario where it does matter. Ruffing can never gain, and not ruffing might. So if I followed that rule, I would pitch. But it's a surprisingly easy rule to forget. Maintaining concentration at all times is difficult. When you think you know the layout, it's tempting to relax.

Nine out of 32 defenders did relax and ruffed in that position, letting the game make. So plus 100 is worth 66%.

No comments:

Post a Comment