Sunday, September 8, 2024

Free Weekly Instant Tournament - August 30 - Board 1

 

Board 1
Neither side vulnerable

♠ 8 6   7 3   K Q J 10 8 2  ♣ A K 4  

Partner opens with one heart. RHO passes. I bid two diamonds, game-forcing, and partner bids two hearts. This bid does not promise a sixth heart in the robots' methods.

I would like to bid three clubs to enable partner to bid three notrump with a spade stopper and no club stopper. But the robots take these bids seriously. If partner raises clubs, there may be no way to avoid playing this hand in clubs. I'm sure he will interpret a four-diamond bid by me as a cue-bid. I'm not sure what he will make of four hearts, but I don't want to find out. To avoid partner's tunnel vision, I'm stuck with bidding three diamonds. 

I bid three diamonds, and partner bids three notrump. I pass, and RHO leads the spade deuce.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ 8 6
7 3
K Q J 10 8 2
♣ A K 4






SOUTH
Robot
♠ K 5
A J 10 9 5 2
7 3
♣ Q J 8


West North East South
Robot Phillip Robot Robot
1
Pass 2 Pass 2
Pass 3 Pass 3 NT
(All pass)

Partner had a tough decision over three diamonds. He could either show his sixth heart, possibly giving me a headache if I have a singleton and only one black suit stopper, or he could show both his stoppers with three notrump. This would have been an easier auction if two hearts had promised six. 

At one time, I didn't care for that treatment. One thing I dislike about Eastern Science Fiction is that it can be difficult to show extra values. So I liked using two hearts as a catch-all, allowing two spades or three clubs to show extras. But I'm beginning to think I was wrong about that. I keep seeing deals where I wished opener's rebid of his suit showed six.

Since West led the spade deuce, he should have three or four spades. So I'm down one or two after I drive the diamond ace. Fortunately, others will have the same problem, so this should be a normal result.

East plays the spade jack, and I take the king. I lead the seven of diamonds--four--king--nine. It's weird they would duck this trick, since I have two side dummy entries. Whoever ducked must know hearts aren't running. But table presence is useless against robots, so I have no idea who ducked. 

Incidentally, Ron Andersen once told me the best way to read which hand ducked. It's not tempo, which can be unreliable. The player who ducked is the player who, after seeing his partner's card, glanced at dummy's spots.

I continue with the queen of diamonds--six--three--ace. West had the diamond ace, so, as we decided earlier, he must hold a heart honor. Although I can't imagine it's going to help to know that. I'm just practicing.

West shifts to the nine of spades, and East takes the ace. I don't think East would have falsecarded at trick one, so he can't have the ten. West must have made one of the robots' weird leads of the nine from ten-nine. I don't know why they do that. I know who has the ten. So why not tell partner?

East continues with the queen of spades, and West unblocks his ten. East continues with the spade three. The three? Not the seven? So West has 10972 and they've blocked the suit? Yes. West takes his spade seven and shifts to a club. Making three.


NORTH
Phillip
♠ 8 6
7 3
K Q J 10 8 2
♣ A K 4


WEST
Robot
♠ 10 9 7 2
K 8 6 4
A 5 4
♣ 6 3


EAST
Robot
♠ A Q J 4 3
Q
9 6
♣ 10 9 7 5 2


SOUTH
Robot
♠ K 5
A J 10 9 5 2
7 3
♣ Q J 8


The winning defense should not have been difficult to find. If West shifts to the spade ten. East can duck and the rest is easy. In fact, with ten-nine-seven West should lead the ten at trick one.

Four hearts makes. So in a real field, this would be a poor result despite the bad defense. In this field, plus 400 is worth 57%.

Eight players did reach four hearts, but only because they were unaware that opener's two-heart bid did not promise six and forgot to read the tooltip. They raised two hearts to four. Fortunately, five of them went down on creative lines of play. Otherwise this would have been a below-average result.

Four hearts is the wrong bid, by the way, even if partner's rebid promises six hearts. A jump to four hearts should show good heart support. This isn't some "fast arrival" situation; we are still looking for the right strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment