Sunday, October 31, 2021

Zenith Daylong - Oct 14, 2021 - Board 2

Board 2
Our side vulnerable

♠ A J 8 4 2   K 8   Q 5  ♣ A J 10 6  

Pass to me. Some will open one notrump with this hand. I'm happy to open one notrump offshape when I have rebid problems. But with this hand, I don't. If I open one spade and partner responds one notrump, I see no issue with rebidding two clubs. So I open one spade. 

Partner bids two hearts. I can rebid three clubs or two notrump. I would bid three clubs with the spade queen instead of the diamond queen. But with scattered values, this hand looks more like notrump than like spades-and-clubs. Furthermore, there is a variety of diamond holdings partner might have where notrump is better from my side. If I bid three clubs, I may miss my chance to bid notrump first. If I bid two notrump, on the other hand, we haven't precluded getting to a club contract. Partner can still introduce clubs over two notrump.

I bid two notrump, and partner raises to three. West leads the jack of diamonds.


NORTH
Robot
♠ K 9
A J 10 7 4
A 3
♣ Q 5 4 2






SOUTH
Phillip
♠ A J 8 4 2
K 8
Q 5
♣ A J 10 6


West North East South
Robot Robot Robot Phillip


Pass 1 ♠
Pass 2 Pass 2 NT
Pass 3 NT (All pass)

If partner had ace third of diamonds, I would be happy we were playing this from my side. Opposite ace doubleton, I'm not sure yet. I play low from dummy; East follows with the four and I win with the queen. Now I'm sure.

I have seven cashing tricks. I need two more. Either hearts or clubs looks promising for two additional tricks. Which one should I try first? If both finesses are working, I don't care. If one is losing, which one would I prefer to take first? If I take the club finesse and it loses, I will win the diamond return and run clubs. This might put the opponents under some pressure. Imagine West's discomfort if he holds queen fourth of hearts, for example. On the other hand, if I take the heart finesse and it loses, it's not clear they will feel the same degree of pressure when I run the heart suit. Admittedly, this is more instinct than rigorous logic. I don't have any specific plan in mind. But it looks better to take the club finesse first.

I play the spade deuce; West plays the ten. That looks like queen-ten. West is afraid I'm looking at his hand and will insert the nine. I play the king, and East follows with the three.

Should I lead the club queen or a low one? Low is better if East has a stiff king. But the queen allows me to repeat the finesse if it wins. Say I lead low to my hand and it holds. I play king of hearts and a heart to the jack. It loses and they clear diamonds. Do I risk repeating the club finesse or not? If I find myself facing that problem, I will be wishing I had led the queen.

But maybe I shouldn't worry too much about West's ducking. Ducking a trick is unattractive when you have a suit ready to establish. And if I play the jack rather then the ten, ducking will be even less attractive, since West can't be sure repeating the finesse is even an option. So I decide to guard against a stiff king by leading the deuce. East plays the three. I play the jack; West plays the seven.

Now for the heart finesse. King of hearts--six--four--nine. Eight of hearts--queen--ace--five. That makes eleven tricks. If a club to the ten holds, that makes twelve. If clubs break, that's thirteen. If they don't break, I can cash the club ace and execute a show-up squeeze, taking all the tricks if East has the spade queen or if the queen is doubleton offside.

I play the club four--eight--ten--nine. I claim. Making seven


NORTH
Robot
♠ K 9
A J 10 7 4
A 3
♣ Q 5 4 2


WEST
Robot
♠ Q 10 7
Q 6
K J 10 9 8 6
♣ 9 7


EAST
Robot
♠ 6 5 3
9 5 3 2
7 4 2
♣ K 8 3


SOUTH
Phillip
♠ A J 8 4 2
K 8
Q 5
♣ A J 10 6


62%. I beat most of the pairs who played three notrump. Some played it from the other side and didn't get the gift at trick one. Others played it from my side but got a club lead after my hand opened one notrump. The reason this result isn't better is some Souths opened one spade and rebid three clubs over two hearts, thereby reaching and making six clubs. It's hard to say whether three notrump or six clubs is the better matchpoint spot.

Note, by the way, East's play at trick one: the four from 742. That's neither count nor attitude. It appears to be random. That's what makes it hard to defend with robots. Even their trick-one plays aren't helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment