Thursday, October 15, 2009

Board 23

Board 23
Both sides vulnerable

♠ A K 8 4 3 A Q J 5 4 ♣ A J 6

I open one spade in first seat, LHO bids three clubs, partner bids four spades, and RHO passes. Obviously I need to think about slam. The first decision is whether to invite or simply bid it. Partner's four spade bid should be based more on shape than on high cards, since he could have cue-bid four clubs. Thus there is a good chance he has a singleton club. If he does, I don't need much: queen of spades, king of hearts, and ace or king-queen of diamonds. I might not even need the singleton club.

♠ Q x x x K x A x x x x ♣ x x

would be good enough. In fact, I might not even need the king of hearts. Opposite the same hand without the heart king, I'm on a finesse through the pre-empter's partner. If slam is better than 50% opposite the right six-count, it seems I should be doing more than simply inviting. If I did choose to invite, I'm not even sure what to bid. Probably five spades to suggest I'm looking for a club control. I'm more worried about having a club loser than I am about being off the ace-king of diamonds. But I think that's too conservative. I bid six spades, which ends the auction. West leads the king of clubs:


NORTH
♠ Q 9 7 6 5 2
7 5
K Q J 6 2
♣ --






SOUTH
♠ A K 8 4 3
A Q J
5 4
♣ A J 6




West
North
East
South
1 ♠
3 ♣
4 ♠
Pass
6 ♠
(All pass)


I don't really think East is void in clubs. But why take chances? I ruff with the queen of spades, draw trumps, and claim six:


NORTH
♠ Q 9 7 6 5 2
7 5
K Q J 6 2
♣ --


WEST
♠ J
K 6 3 2
3
♣ K Q 10 7 4 3 2


EAST
♠ 10
10 9 8 4
A 10 9 8 7
♣ 9 8 5


SOUTH
♠ A K 8 4 3
A Q J
5 4
♣ A J 6


West obviously could have beat me with a diamond lead. But I think he made the percentage choice. Since he's looking at eight high-card points, he is unlikely to find his partner with an ace. It makes more sense to try to set up a club trick and hope the king of hearts is an entry. If North has, for example,

♠ Q x x x x x A K x x x ♣ x x

West's lead would be right. Without the king of hearts, I'm sure West would have led a diamond. His choice is wrong only because North has a freak. North has more in shape and less in high cards than he normally would for this auction.

At the other table, South decided not to play a slam unless his partner had the diamond ace. He bid Blackwood and signed off in five spades when his partner showed no aces. On this auction, West knew his partner had at least one keycard. In fact, he should have two. So West had good reason to lead a diamond, and he did. After losing the first two tricks, South was undoubtedly quite pleased with himself for his conservative decision. Ha!

Me: +1430
Jack: +650

Score on Board 23: +13 IMPs
Total: +63 IMPs

1 comment:

  1. You should get a much larger following (including me) as a result of Philip Alder's reference-link in the NY Times Bridge column.

    ReplyDelete