Thursday, November 5, 2009

Board 37

If you click on the link "Board 37" below, you will be able to download a file called "Board 37.pbn". If you own a copy of Jack or any other bridge-playing software that can read a pbn file, you can then play the deal yourself before reading this post.

Board 37
Our side vulnerable

♠ K 4 3 A K Q 5 4 ♣ J 5 4 3 2

Two passes to me. I open one diamond, LHO bids one spade, and partner doubles. RHO raises to two spades. I'm glad Jack doesn't play good/bad two notrump. I'd hate to have to bid two notrump with this hand, telling partner I want to compete but not telling him why. We need to determine how good our club fit is, and the only way to do that is for me to bid them. Why should partner care whether I have a good hand or a bad hand?

I bid three clubs, and LHO bids three hearts. Partner passes, and RHO bids three spades, which ends the auction. Partner leads the jack of diamonds.


NORTH
♠ 8 3 2
K 8 7
9 8 6 3 2
♣ K Q




EAST
♠ K 4
3
A K Q 5 4
♣ J 5 4 3 2

West
North
East
South
Pass
Pass
1
1 ♠
Double
2 ♠
3 ♣
3
Pass
3 ♠
(All pass)

South has length in both majors, but he didn't bid Michaels over one diamond. I don't know if that means he doesn't have equal length or if it's possible he could have equal length but a hand of intermediate strength. Too bad I can't ask. In any event, it looks right to play for heart ruffs. I overtake with the queen of diamonds, and declarer plays the ten. I shift to the three of hearts--six--ace--seven. Partner returns the four of hearts--eight--ruff--deuce. Opposite a human partner, I would simply play a club back, but, as I've said before, I've seen no evidence that Jack knows what a suit-preference signal is. Is it really possible for partner to have the club ace? If he does, he surely has at most four clubs, since he sold out after I bid three clubs. What hand can I construct for declarer where he would bid this way that includes a small doubleton club?

♠ A Q J x x Q J x x x x ♣ x x

No. That's a Michaels cue-bid by anyone's standard.

♠ A Q J x x x Q J x x x ♣ x x

If he chose one spade rather than two on the first round, he surely would have bid three spades, not three hearts, on the second. I'm inclined to think partner can't have the club ace and that my best shot is to play him for a singleton diamond despite his carding. I play a low diamond. If I play the ace, that should mean I don't want partner to ruff, perhaps because I don't have another trump.  The king should leave it to partner's discretion.

Declarer ruffs with the ten of spades, crosses to the club queen, and plays a spade. Making four:


NORTH
♠ 8 3 2
K 8 7
9 8 6 3 2
♣ K Q


WEST
♠ 9 6
A Q 10 9 4
J 7
♣ 9 8 7 6


EAST
♠ K 4
3
A K Q 5 4
♣ J 5 4 3 2


SOUTH
♠ A Q J 10 7 5
J 6 5 2
10
♣ A 10


The auction is the same at the other table, but East ducks his partner's jack of diamonds (encouraging with the five no less, apparently unconvinced that partner will work out he has ace-king-queen when the jack holds). West cashes the heart ace, but, when partner's singleton turns out not to be the jack, he sees no reason to give partner his ruff. He continues diamonds. Declarer ruffs and leads a club to dummy to take the spade finesse. When spades split, he makes four.

If I were West, I would assume partner had a heart void when he left me on play at trick one, and I would consider playing a low heart at trick two to retain my heart entry for some nefarious purpose later on.  Is it possible to construct a layout where a low heart at trick two is necessary? I can't think of one, although I can come close.  [11/21/09 - As a reader points on in the comments below, there may be no reason to lead a low heart, but West should certainly lead the queen if he thinks his partner is void.]

Me: -170
Jack: -170

Score on Board 37: 0 IMPs
Total: +91 IMPs

3 comments:

  1. If west is willing to believe that that the hand is distributed as it is...very likely from the auction, then his holding the 9 of spades suggests a way to save the overtrick- He can insert the 9 of hearts instead of winning the Ace. Now declarer is apt to worry that if west has Kx of spades and east has 9x that taking a losing trump finesse will lead to an overruff on the 4th round of hearts. Thus he may bang trump from the top. However, if he is careful enough to play 2 rounds of clubs first, east is endplayed. If he plays a high diamond, declarer pitches a heart on this trick. Note that the 7 of diamonds is doubleton. A low diamond fares no better. Declarer pitches, wins with the 9 and leads the 8 or 6. When east covers, he pitches another heart and east must set up another d trick or concede a ruff-sluff. So nothing matters, but at least we had to do a lot of work to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I were West, I would assume partner had a heart void when he left me on play at trick one, and I would consider playing a low heart at trick two to retain my heart entry for some nefarious purpose later on."
    Maybe I miss something, but the queen seems to be the normal card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I was the one who missed something. You are quite right. If West believes his partner is void in hearts--as I would--he should shift to the heart queen, thus preventing declarer from taking any heart tricks.

    ReplyDelete