Thursday, November 12, 2009

Board 42

Board 42 (Click to download pbn file)
Both sides vulnerable

♠ 8 5 4 K J 4 J 10 7 ♣ A 9 3 2

RHO opens two spades in first seat. I pass, as does everyone else. The jack of diamonds looks like a normal enough opening lead, but I wish I had chosen something else when I see dummy:


NORTH
♠ A J
10 9 8 2
K Q 9 5 4 3
♣ 4


WEST
♠ 8 5 4
K J 4
J 10 7
♣ A 9 3 2




WestNorthEastSouth
2 ♠
(All pass)

Declarer plays the queen from dummy--ace--six. Partner shifts to the three of hearts--ace--four--deuce. If declarer has the king-queen of spades, he has eight tricks, so I must assume partner has a spade trick. At trick three, declarer plays the five of clubs. Even with a spade loser, a club ruff will bring him up to eight tricks. It doesn't look promising.

My first thought is that my only chance to beat this is to play partner for a singleton ace of diamonds. Suppose I win the club and lead a diamond. Partner ruffs, plays a heart to me, and I give him another diamond ruff. That's still only five tricks. We need for a second heart to cash. That gives declarer 6-3-3-1, which is impossible. Why would he lead a club at trick three with that?

Is there anything else that might work? Since I'm already playing partner for the spade king, suppose I play him for the ten or nine as well. Perhaps that will enable us to exploit my eight of spades. Suppose I win the club, cash two hearts (the jack, then the king, to retain the lead), then shift to a spade. Declarer wins, plays the diamond queen, ruffs a diamond, and ruffs a club. He's down to all trumps in his hand and we need two trump tricks to beat him. He ruffs a diamond with the ten (or nine, whichever card partner doesn't have). If he leads the queen of spades, trying to pin the eight, he'll go down. But if he leads low, letting partner's king catch air, he'll make it. I have the eight behind declarer's queen, but partner has nothing to play for a trump promotion.

Maybe I'm better off if declarer started with only two hearts. When I try to cash the second heart, he ruffs it, ruffs a club to dummy, and cashes the diamond king. We're down to this position:


NORTH
♠ A
10
9 5 4 3
♣ --


WEST
♠ 8 5 4
--
10
♣ A 2




We need three more tricks. Declarer still has a club loser in his hand, and partner still has the queen of hearts. Declarer cashes the spade ace and ruffs a diamond low. Again, if he leads a low spade, there's nothing we can do. But if he leads the queen, partner can win, cash a club, and play the queen of hearts for a trump promotion. In the diagrammed position, he might do better to ruff a diamond and ruff his last club with the spade ace. We now need three trump tricks. He leads a diamond and ruffs with the six. I overruff with the eight and tap him with a club. If partner has the king-ten of trumps left, he's down. King-nine isn't good enough in this variation.

I hop with the nine of clubs, intending to play jack, then king of hearts. Partner has different ideas. He overtakes my nine with the ten and returns the eight of diamonds, apparently playing me for a singleton diamond. Really, now! Would I rise with the club nine if I needed him to win this trick and give me a diamond ruff? Declarer pitches the five of hearts, I play the ten of diamonds, and dummy wins with the king. Declarer cashes the nine of diamonds and pitches the seven of hearts. It appears he was 6-3-1-3. If so, he can now cross-ruff hearts and clubs and we might or might not have trump tricks when he's done.

Declarer ruffs a heart, ruffs a club with the jack of spades, then cashes the ace of spades. He plays a heart and pitches the jack of clubs, allowing me to score the king of hearts, then takes the rest. Making four.


NORTH
♠ A J
10 9 8 2
K Q 9 5 4 3
♣ 4


WEST
♠ 8 5 4
K J 4
J 10 7
♣ A 9 3 2


EAST
♠ 10 6
Q 6 3
A 8 2
♣ K Q 10 7 6


SOUTH
♠ K Q 9 7 3 2
A 7 5
6
♣ J 8 5



Our spades were good enough to keep declarer from making five. If he had continued the cross-ruff, he would have no way to get off dummy when he was done.  Whichever red suit he led, partner could uppercut with his ten of spades, promoting my eight.

If partner did have king-ten of spades and four hearts, would he still have overtaken my nine of clubs? Was I really supposed to hop with the ace of clubs to make sure I retained control of the defense? I don't think so. There's no reason declarer couldn't have the club king.

At the other table, West leads the heart four against the same contract. Maybe that's right. Perhaps there's sufficient danger that dummy has a source of tricks in a minor that I should be making an aggressive lead. Declarer takes East's queen with the ace and plays a diamond to the king. If East wins and returns a trump, they hold declarer to eight tricks. But he ducks!  Declarer ruffs a diamond to his hand and plays a club. West wins with the nine, cashes two hearts, then leads the ace of clubs to tap dummy. Declarer ruffs, ruffs a diamond, and plays a trump to the ace. He pitches his last club on a diamond as the defense ruffs. Then he takes the rest. Making three.

Me: -170
Jack: -140

Score on Board 42: -1 IMP
Total: +94 IMPs

No comments:

Post a Comment