Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Board 78

Board 78
Neither vulnerable

♠ A J 6 2 A J 10 5 K 9 7 ♣ 7 2

RHO opens one club, and I double. LHO bids two clubs, and partner doubles. According to Jack's footnote, this shows 8 or more high-card points and at least four-four in the majors. RHO bids three clubs. I see no reason to bid. I don't think we can make a game unless partner can act again on him own. If he has extra high cards, he will double again, and if he has a five-card major, he will bid it without any encouragement from me. I don't want to bid at the three level simply to compete for the partscore when I have only eight trumps. True, the double fit suggests total tricks will be high. But if partner is four-four in the majors, he is probably 4-4-3-2. The matching pattern offsets the advantage of the double fit.

I pass, LHO passes, partner bids three hearts, and RHO passes. The fifth heart improves my hand considerably. I'm willing to bid game. The question is which game. If partner is 4-5-3-1, four spades could easily be better, since I might be able to pitch a diamond on partner's fifth heart. If partner is 4-5-2-2, four hearts will probably be better, since they may be able to threaten a heart ruff if we play in spades.

I have no way of knowing which game is better.  But I'm pretty sure Jack will choose hearts at the other table, so I bid four spades, which ends the auction. West leads the queen of clubs.


NORTH
♠ K 9 7 3
Q 6 4 3 2
A J
♣ 10 9






SOUTH
♠ A J 6 2
A J 10 5
K 9 7
♣ 7 2



West
North
East
South
1 ♣
Double
2 ♣
Double
3 ♣
Pass
Pass
3
Pass
4 ♠
(All pass)


East plays the four. He's probably encouraging with ace-king-four-three. I play the deuce, and West continues the the five of clubs to East's king. Clubs are obviously five-four. West might have shifted to a singleton heart. If so, that means heart are either three-one or two-two. In the former case, East must be 4-1-4-4. In the latter, he is either 4-2-3-4 or 3-2-4-4. This is hardly certain. West won't necessarily shift to a singleton heart. But those are the patterns I'm most inclined to place East with at the moment.

East continues with the ace of clubs. Giving me a ruff and sluff supports the idea that he has four spades. So 4-1-4-4 or 4-2-3-4 is starting to look quite likely. I pitch a diamond and ruff with the seven of spades. I'm not sure this is going to matter, but it probably can't hurt. The spade seven can only get in the way.

If East is balanced, he must have the king of hearts to come to 12 high-card points. If he is 4-1-4-4, the heart king might be offside, in which case I'm probably going down. I have a slim chance of making on that layout if I take the heart finesse right away (very slim--West must return a spade or a diamond to let me make it). But it doesn't hurt to try, so I lead the queen of hearts--king--ace--seven. If I'm right that East has four spades, I can still pick up the suit if West's singleton is the queen, ten, or eight. I lead the deuce of spades--eight--king--four. Then the nine of spades from dummy, on which East plays the five. I can't go down by finessing. If West has another spade, East can't have a singleton heart. So I duck. West pitches the three of diamonds, and I claim the balance. Making five.


NORTH
♠ K 9 7 3
Q 6 4 3 2
A J
♣ 10 9


WEST
♠ 8
9 7
Q 8 6 4 3
♣ Q J 8 6 5


EAST
♠ Q 10 5 4
K 8
10 5 2
♣ A K 4 3


SOUTH
♠ A J 6 2
A J 10 5
K 9 7
♣ 7 2



At the other table, the auction is the same up to the point where East bids three clubs. My counterpart then bids three hearts. I've already explained why I think that's wrong. West bids four clubs, and North bids four hearts.

West leads his singleton eight of spades. Declarer covers with the nine--queen--ace. With the opponents threatening a spade ruff, it would be dangerous to take a heart finesse. So declarer plays ace and a heart. He later finesses against the ten of spades to make four. So four spades did take one more trick than four hearts. It would have been nice if that were the tenth trick rather than the eleventh.


Me: +450
Jack: +420

Score on Board 78: +1 IMP
Total: -127 IMPs

No comments:

Post a Comment