Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Board 103

Board 103
Both sides vulnerable

♠ 8 3 K 10 7 4 3 A 10 6 ♣ 6 5 3

I pass in first seat. LHO opens one spade, partner bids two diamonds, and RHO passes. I can bid either two hearts or three diamonds. Three diamonds has the advantage of being more pre-emptive than two hearts, so it may create more of a problem for LHO. But we might have a game in hearts, so I hate to suppress the suit. I would probably bid three diamonds over a negative double. Over a double, not only is there less chance of our having a heart fit, but there is also more reason to pre-empt. On this auction, however, I'm bidding two hearts.

LHO doubles and partner bids three notrump. Everyone passes, and RHO leads the six of spades.


NORTH
♠ 8 3
K 10 7 4 3
A 10 6
♣ 6 5 3






SOUTH
♠ A K 10
2
K Q J 5 4 2
♣ Q 10 2



West North East South
Pass 1 ♠ 2
Pass 2 Double 3 NT
(All pass)


I play low from dummy, and East plays the jack. If he has the queen also, we have nine tricks. If he doesn't, I don't see much hope for a ninth trick. Even if I knew for a fact that West has the spade queen, I don't see what I could do about it. I win with the king and play a diamond to dummy's ten. East pitches the seven of clubs, suggesting he's 5-3-0-5.

I suppose I could play a diamond to my hand and a diamond back to the ace before taking the spade finesse. But how will that help? In fact, postponing the finesse may hurt by giving East a chance to make informative discards. If the spade finesse loses, I'd just as soon West didn't know enough about the hand to shift to a heart, allowing his partner to cash two heart tricks, squeezing my hand.

I play a spade--deuce--ten--queen. The good news is West doesn't find the heart shift. He plays another spade, and I cash out for down one.


NORTH
♠ 8 3
K 10 7 4 3
A 10 6
♣ 6 5 3


WEST
♠ Q 7 6
J 8 6 5
9 8 7 3
♣ 9 4


EAST
♠ J 9 5 4 2
A Q 9
--
♣ A K J 8 7


SOUTH
♠ A K 10
2
K Q J 5 4 2
♣ Q 10 2



At the other table, the auction begins the same way, but my hand chooses three diamonds instead of two hearts. Somehow the raise gives East the idea that he should bid three spades on his jack fifth. South bids three notrump. West and North pass, but East isn't through yet. He balances with five clubs. South doubles, West corrects to five spades, probably wishing he had bid four spades on the previous round, and South doubles that as well.

South leads his singleton heart.  That strikes me as a poor choice.  With so many entries in declarer's suits, it seems right to go for a tap in diamonds.  In fact, a diamond lead (or even a trump lead) would beat this two tricks. After the heart lead, declarer plays low from dummy, and North plays the king. (Yes, the ten looks more natural.  But it actually makes no difference on this particular deal.)

Declarer wins with the heart ace, cashes the club king, then plays a trump. South plays king, ace, and another trump. Declarer must still lose a trick to the club queen for down one. And things had been going so well!

Me: -100
Jack: +200

Score on Board 103: - 7 IMPs
Total: -43 IMPs

3 comments:

  1. There's a minor error regarding the spot of the opening spade lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you win the first trick and cash 6 diamonds, E must come down to 6 cards. 5 of them must be H AQ and C AKJ, so the other S winner strips him down to those 5 cards. Now you can endplay him in either suit to lead the other.

    This is of course double-dummy, and I think your play was best since the S6 could have been high from two or 3.

    There's no turning back - if he doesn't have at least HAJ and CAK the winning line on this layout is hopeless, and in almost all of those cases, the S play wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does he have to hold three clubs? Why not two spades, ace-queen of hearts, and ace-king of clubs?

    ReplyDelete