Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Board 104

Board 104
Neither vulnerable

♠ J 5 4 2 Q 6 4 3 J 3 ♣ A 10 7

RHO opens one spade in third seat. I pass, LHO bids one notrump, and RHO bids two hearts. I pass again. LHO bids three spades. That's surprising. I thought Jack played Drury. RHO goes on to four spades.

This is not an easy opening lead. I'm not going to lead a major, so the choice is between the jack of diamonds and the ace of clubs--or maybe the ten of clubs. Declarer's likeliest pattern is 5-4-3-1, so the jack of diamonds seems dangerous. The ace of clubs will work out badly if dummy has king-queen. But if dummy has only the king, it might not cost. Even if declarer has a third-round diamond loser that he can pitch on the king of clubs, we may have no way to get to that trick in time anyway.

As for the choice of clubs to lead, the ten might give declarer a guess if dummy has king-jack, but that might not matter. My ace may simply ruff out even if declarer misguesses. And if dummy has queen fourth or jack fourth opposite declarer's singleton jack or queen, the ace will certainly work out better than the ten. In general, the ace underlead is more attractive from length than from shortness. I lead the ace of clubs.


NORTH
♠ K Q 9
K 9
10 7 5 4
♣ J 8 6 4


WEST
♠ J 5 4 2
Q 6 4 3
J 3
♣ A 10 7




West North East South
Pass Pass 1 ♠
Pass 1 NT Pass 2
Pass 3 ♠ Pass 4 ♠
(All pass)


Partner plays the nine, and declarer drops the king. Another reason not to underlead the ace. Sometimes I wish I could get Jack to signal a little less enthusiastically. The nine killed my club exit (although my seven might make a club continuation inadvisable even if partner had signaled with the five).

It doesn't appear that I have anything terribly constructive to do. I'd like simply to get off play without giving away a trick in the process. Should I switch to a diamond now? If we assume that a fourth-round diamond trick is immaterial (a convenient assumption, though not necessarily valid), then the diamond jack is safe provided partner has two honors or one honor plus the nine. A low diamond may be even safer. If I lead low, I might survive if partner has one honor without the nine. It occurs to me, though, that the safest exit may be a spade. It gives up a spade trick. But if declarer has to ruff at least one heart in dummy, the trick comes back. One advantage of a spade shift is it retains my potential edge in not leading a diamond at trick one. Since I'm hoping for a swing, why not hope that my decision not to break diamonds was correct? I switch to the deuce of spades--nine--eight--three.

Declarer leads the ten of diamonds--queen--six. I play the three. Partner continues with the deuce of diamonds, and declarer plays the ace, dropping my jack. I'm not sure what declarer is up to with this maneuver. Perhaps he's simply trying to get a count to help him guess the queen of hearts. In any event, it appears we have a second diamond trick coming. I should score either the heart queen or the spade jack in addition. So it looks as if this is going down.

Declarer plays a spade to the king, and partner discards the club deuce. On the spade queen, partner plays the heart deuce. Declarer ruffs a club to his hand, plays a heart to the king, and plays a heart back to the jack. I win with the queen and lead another club to tap out his ace of trumps. The tap is immaterial. I just wind up ruffing partner's diamond winner in the end. Down one.


NORTH
♠ K Q 9
K 9
10 7 5 4
♣ J 8 6 4


WEST
♠ J 5 4 2
Q 6 4 3
J 3
♣ A 10 7


EAST
♠ 8
7 5 2
K Q 8 2
♣ Q 9 5 3 2


SOUTH
♠ A 10 7 6 3
A J 10 8
A 9 6
♣ K


It looks as if declarer has two unavoidable losers after partner shows out on the second round of spades.  Indeed that's what I thought at the time.  But, in fact, if declarer guesses the heart queen, he can compress his diamond and trump loser and make this. And the heart queen shouldn't be too hard to guess. It should be fairly clear from my trump switch that I have a dangerous holding in every suit. This was the position after declarer cashed the spade king.


NORTH
♠ Q
K 9
7 5
♣ J 8 6


WEST
♠ J 5
Q 6 4 3
--
♣ 10 7


EAST
♠ --
7 5 2
Q 8
♣ Q 5 3


SOUTH
♠ A 10 7
A J 10 8
9
♣ --



Declarer needs seven tricks, and he can score them on a scramble. He ruffs a club to his hand, floats the jack of hearts, then plays a heart to the king. He can then ruff another club, cash the heart ace, and score two more tricks on a high crossruff.

At the other table, the auction is the same, but West leads the jack of diamonds. Declarer takes his ace, then cashes the king and queen of spades.  When East shows out, it's all over.  Actually, as the cards lie, declarer was down once he won the first trick. He must duck (so that he can afford to concede a club trick to West), then play along roughly the same lines as I suggested above. Since he has less reason to guess the queen of hearts, however, he is less apt to find this line.

The jack of diamonds turned out to be a better lead than the club ace.  Declarer really should have made the hand at my table.  While my teammate did err in winning the first trick, it's not clear it mattered.  Quite possibly he was destined to go down anyway.

Me: +50
Jack: +50

Score on Board 104: 0 IMPs
Total: -43 IMPs

No comments:

Post a Comment