Sunday, November 7, 2010

Match 2 - Board 28

Board 28
Our side vulnerable

♠ K 3 A J 9 8 6 4 2 9 5 2 ♣ K

One diamond--two clubs--pass to me. I bid two hearts. This bid isn't forcing, but so what? If partner has heart support, he'll raise. If he has a solid opening bid, he'll try to bid something. If he has neither, two hearts is probably high enough.

At least I hope it's high enough, because two hearts ends the auction. West leads the king of diamonds.


NORTH
♠ J 10 2
K 3
J 8
♣ A J 10 9 8 5






SOUTH
♠ K 3
A J 9 8 6 4 2
9 5 2
♣ K



WestNorthEastSouth
1 2 ♣Pass2
(All pass)


East plays the four of diamonds. I'm not sure what the opponents' lead conventions are, so I'm not sure whether West can have the diamond ace or not. Perhaps West has ace-king-queen and East is discouraging, or perhaps East is encouraging with honor-four-three. I "discourage" with the deuce, hoping to induce a spade shift. West shifts--but to the four of clubs. This shift doesn't make much sense unless it's a singleton. I play the club jack, East plays the queen, and I win with the king. I guess it's not a singleton. Why would East cover with queen fifth?

I'm tempted to play a diamond. Perhaps I can ruff the third round of diamonds in dummy and pitch a spade on the club ace. If so, then I'll make three if I have to lose a heart and four if I don't. Might I go down on that line? Suppose East wins the diamond and plays a spade. West takes the queen and ace and plays a third diamond. If I ruff with the king, I could lose two trump tricks. So I ruff low. East overruffs and leads a club. That would be awkward.

I've stayed nice and low. I'd hate to give up my edge by going minus, so I decide to play it safe. I play the heart ace--five--ten, then the four of hearts (As always, hanging on to those deuces on principle)--seven--king--five of spades. I can now pitch a diamond on the club ace and try a finesse against the queen of spades.

Actually, I can't. West ruffs the club ace. His club shift was a singleton after all. He can now play two rounds of diamonds, tossing me in my hand and holding me to eight tricks. But, for some reason, he cashes the spade ace. Making three.


NORTH
♠ J 10 2
K 3
J 8
♣ A J 10 9 8 5


WEST
♠ A Q 9 4
Q 7 5
K Q 10 6 3
♣ 4


EAST
♠ 8 7 6 5
10
A 7 4
♣ Q 7 6 3 2


SOUTH
♠ K 3
A J 9 8 6 4 2
9 5 2
♣ K


It turns out the overtrick is immaterial. We are the only North-South pair to go plus on this board. One pair went down two in four hearts; two went down one in three hearts; the rest defended three spades making four.

The opponents have a double fit, yet they didn't locate either one. What went wrong? For one thing, I believe West should double two hearts. This double should show shortness in clubs, not shortness in hearts. In fact, it should promise three or four hearts so that responder can pass with an appropriate hand.  Using double to show something like a 4-1-5-3 pattern makes little sense. Opener should avoid re-entering the auction with club length when responder couldn't act over two clubs.

Also, although I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me, I think East must take some blame for his pass over two clubs. He knows the opponents have at least eight hearts, he knows from his club length that his partner rates to have long diamonds, and he knows this may well be his last chance to support the suit. I think he should bid two diamonds. The three-card competitive raise of a minor is routine in the style I'm used to playing: weak notrumps with four-card majors.  It is almost unheard of in Eastern Science Fiction, but don't think it's a bad idea in that system either. Of course, if you bid two diamonds on awkward hands with three- or four-card support, you must avoid it when you have good support.  I don't see that as a hardship. With five trumps, you can usually muster up a raise to three or a cue-bid.

If East does bid two diamonds, West will compete with three diamonds over two hearts. It's not clear what will happen after that, but East-West should at least wind up with a plus score.

Score on Board 28: +140 (12 MP)
Total: 226 MP (67.3%)

Current rank: 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment