Saturday, November 20, 2010

Match 2 - Board 30

Board 30
Neither vulnerable

♠ A J 6 4 3 A K J 6 J 9 8 2 ♣ --

RHO opens one club. I bid one spade, hoping I will be able to double some number of clubs at my next turn. I get my wish. LHO bids two clubs, partner passes, and RHO bids three clubs. I double, partner bids three hearts, and RHO bids four clubs. I don't have anything further to say. This is about what partner should expect for this auction. I pass, and partner bids four hearts.

This makes no sense. If he couldn't bid four hearts the first time, how can he bid it now? If this makes, I owe RHO a thank-you for his four club bid, giving partner a chance to reconsider his decision. Everyone passes, and RHO leads the queen of clubs.


NORTH
♠ A J 6 4 3
A K J 6
J 9 8 2
♣ --






SOUTH
♠ 5
10 8 5 3 2
10 7 6 5 3
♣ A 10



WestNorthEastSouth
1 ♣1 ♠2 ♣Pass
3 ♣DoublePass3
4 ♣PassPass4
(All pass)


Partner certainly should have bid four hearts a round earlier. An eight-loser hand with a known double fit? Of course, the fact that he should have bid it doesn't mean I'm going to make it. West rates to have six clubs and a singleton heart for his four club bid. His likeliest pattern, then, is 3-1-3-6, in which case I'm going down unless his singleton heart is the queen.

Is there any way I can endplay East if my construction is correct? What if I pitch a diamond on the club ace, play a spade to the ace and ruff a spade, then a heart to the ace and ruff another spade. Now a club ruff to dummy and ruff a fourth spade. I'm down to this position:


NORTH
♠ J
K J
J 9 8
♣ --


WEST
♠ --
--
A K x
♣ J x x


EAST
♠ --
Q x
Q
♣ K x x


SOUTH
♠ --
10
10 7 6 5 3
♣ --



I play a diamond. East wins with his singleton honor and is endplayed. He leads a club, and I can ruff in my hand, discarding a diamond loser from dummy. All very nice. But to acheive this endplay, I've tapped dummy out. I need two more tricks, and there is no way to take them.

I'm not entirely sure I would adopt such a committal line even if it were going to work. But I'm certainly not going to adopt it if it isn't going to work.

It seems my only chance to make this if everything is breaking badly is to trick West into crashing diamond honors. Too bad he doesn't know I have five diamonds. If he did, and if I played a diamond from my hand, he might hop with ace-king or ace-queen third to give his partner a ruff.

Maybe I should ruff a spade to my hand to clue him in to my spade shortness. What if I ruff the club in dummy, (I can't afford to let him know I have the club ace. That would tip him off that I don't have any red-suit honors.) then play ace and ruff a spade? Now I play a diamond. Since he now knows I have long diamonds, he might hop. Is there any risk in this line? Possibly. What if West is 2-1-3-7 with a singleton queen of hearts. Now I'm cold on a staightforward line. But I go down on my tricky line, since East can lead a third round of spades for his partner to ruff with the queen.

I suppose I can guard against that by drawing one round of trumps before ruffing a spade. I find it hard to believe that trumps are two-two, so I'm willing to take the risk of not drawing a second round. That's the plan I settle on. I ruff the club in dummy and cash the heart ace. If everyone follows low, I intend to ruff a spade to my hand and lead a diamond.

My ruse proves unnecessary. West drops the heart queen under the ace. I draw the remaining trumps and play a diamond. Diamonds are two-two, so I wind up making five. There was never anything to worry about.


NORTH
♠ A J 6 4 3
A K J 6
J 9 8 2
♣ --


WEST
♠ K Q 10 2
Q
A K
♣ Q J 9 5 3 2


EAST
♠ 9 8 7
9 7 4
Q 4
♣ K 8 7 6 4


SOUTH
♠ 5
10 8 5 3 2
10 7 6 5 3
♣ A 10



This result is worth seven matchpoints. The only result other than plus 450 came from the pair who defended five clubs doubled and collected 300. I must apologize to partner. Had he bid four hearts over my double, West would surely have bid five clubs. We could compete to five hearts, but, in practice, we would probably double and score one matchpoint. Sorry I criticized your bid, partner. (But it's a hollow apology. I still think three hearts is insane.)

Score on Board 30: +450 (7 MP)
Total: 245 MP (68.1%)

Current rank: 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment