Sunday, April 8, 2012

Event 3 - Match 5 - Board 4

Board 4
Both sides vulnerable

♠ K Q 8 7 4 K J A J 7 5 3 ♣ 9

Three passes to me. I open one spade, partner bids one notrump, I bid two diamonds, and partner bids two spades. My rule of thumb is I bid one less on this auction than I would after one spade--two spades. If I would bid game after a single raise, then I invite. If I would invite after a single raise (as on this hand), then I pass. Accordingly, I pass. LHO passes as well and leads the king of clubs (denying the ace).


NORTH
Jack
♠ 10 3
A 7 6 4 3
K Q 6
♣ 7 5 4






SOUTH
Phillip
♠ K Q 8 7 4
K J
A J 7 5 3
♣ 9



West North East South
Sam Jack Stephen Phillip
Pass Pass Pass 1 ♠
Pass 1 NT Pass 2
Pass 2 ♠ (All pass)

East plays the six of clubs. Assuming he's encouraging with the highest spot he can afford, West has the eight. West continues with the three of clubs. East presumably has the deuce--both because West seems to be leading his lowest club and because West would not know the six was encouraging otherwise. So West has king-queen-?-eight-three and East has ace-?-six-deuce. I'm not sure about the location of the jack or ten, but we would have heard from West if he had six semi-solid clubs, so he can't have both of them. Clubs must be either five-four or four-five.

If I ruff this, I'm in danger of being tapped out. Can I plan on using one of dummy's trumps to keep control? How's this for a plan: I ruff the club and lead the king of spades. If it holds, I abandon trumps and run winners, conceding four trump tricks. If the defense wins and leads a club. I discard. If they play a fourth round of clubs, I ruff in dummy, come to my hand and cash the spade queen. If both opponents follow, then they have two trumps left. I lead winners and let them score two ruffs, losing five tricks: two clubs, the spade ace, and two ruffs.

This works as long as trumps aren't five-one. Can I do better? What if I cross to dummy in hearts and lead a spade toward my hand. As long has no one has a singleton heart and a doubleton trump (unlikely on the auction), I don't see how that can be any worse than leading spades from my hand. And it might be better. If East has ace fifth of spades and ducks, for example, I can win and start playing red suits, conceding four trump tricks. I'm not sure what my plan should be if East hops with the spade ace and play clubs. But I don't need to worry about that until it happens. I'm no worse off than if I had led the spade king from my hand. And that's all that matters at this point.

I play the jack of hearts--deuce--ace--five. Now the three of spades--six--queen--deuce. It appears I'm home. The opponents have four trumps, and that's all they can score. At least I think that's true. Let me make sure. What happens if East has all the missing spades? I lead diamonds until East ruffs. Say he ruffs the second one. He then plays a club, and I ruff. I have two trumps left, and East has three. I lead another diamond. East ruffs. We are down to this position:


NORTH
Jack
♠ 10
7 6 4 3
--
♣ --


WEST
Sam
♠ --
x x
x
♣ Q x


EAST
Stephen
♠ A J
x x
--
♣ x


SOUTH
Phillip
♠ K 8
K
A 7
♣ --



East can now cash the spade ace and lead a club, tapping me out. But that's OK provided he's out of clubs. When he ruffs in with his last trump, he must lead a heart. So if trumps are five-one, I need East to have started with only four clubs.

What if trumps aren't five-one? Then I have no problems. If East cashes the spade ace at any point, he draws one of his partner's trumps. And if he doesn't, I can ruff the fourth round of clubs in dummy to avoid being tapped out.

I lead a diamond to the king. West plays the deuce; East, the four. So the opponents don't give routine count. Nice to know for the future. I play the queen of diamonds and a diamond to my ace. West ruffs the third round with the spade five and leads the queen of clubs. East plays the deuce, and I ruff with the spade seven. I lead the jack of diamonds. West ruffs with the jack of spades. I pitch a heart from dummy, and East pitches the heart nine. Dummy is out of clubs, so, rather than offer me a ruff-sluff, West leads the ten of hearts to the queen and my king. I am down to this position:


NORTH
Jack
♠ 10
 7 6
 --
♣ --






SOUTH
Phillip
♠ K 8
 --
 7
♣ --


The ace and nine of spades are still out. I was prepared to lose a trick to each of them. But if East has the spade nine, I can exploit dummy's remaining trump to make an overtrick. I ruff the last diamond with the spade ten. East overruffs with the ace. If West was 4-2-2-5, East can lead a heart for a trump promotion. Otherwise, I'm scoring my eight of spades. East leads the club jack. I ruff and cash the spade king. Making three.


NORTH
Jack
♠ 10 3
A 7 6 4 3
K Q 6
♣ 7 5 4


WEST
Sam
♠ J 5 2
10 8 2
9 2
♣ K Q 10 8 3


EAST
Stephen
♠ A 9 6
Q 9 5
10 8 4
♣ A J 6 2


SOUTH
Phillip
♠ K Q 8 7 4
K J
A J 7 5 3
♣ 9


With the favorable breaks, I could have made five spades. In fact, they did make five at the other table. I don't know if the defense failed to tap declarer or if declarer simply took a more a dangerous line. In any event, we lose two imps.

Two imps is nothing to sneeze at in a short match. But I still think I was right to play safely. We stopped at the two level with 23 high-card points between us. They could easily get overboard at the other table, so I shouldn't do anything to jeopardize my plus score.

Table 1: +140
Table 2: -200

Result on Board 4: -2 imps
Total: +5 imps

No comments:

Post a Comment