Friday, March 19, 2010

Board 121

Board 121
Opponents vulnerable

♠ Q 9 Q 9 7 5 3 Q 10 4 ♣ Q 6 5

Partner passes, and RHO opens one diamond. I pass, LHO passes, and partner balances with one notrump. Since he's a passed hand, this should show a balanced 10 or 11 high-card points.  RHO bids two diamonds.

Partner probably has three diamonds, in which case, even if we have a heart fit, our diamond tricks will be ruffed away. These diamond tricks will be worth something on defense but not on offense.  Partner might have bid one notrump with a doubleton diamond. But, if so, he is offshape for a take-out double. And if he's offshape, it's probably heart support that he's missing.

You see where I'm going with this. Bidding two hearts is simply a bad idea. It is unlikely that both two hearts and two diamonds are making, which is the only time it's essential to bid at IMPs. And it is quite possible that both are going down, which is when it's essential not to bid. We don't care too much what we do if one contract makes and the other doesn't. I pass, as does everyone else.

I give fleeting thought to leading the queen of spades. Usually one doesn't go after ruffs with queen third of trumps. But in this case, a ruff may prove useful. If partner has king third of diamonds, for example, a ruff with my queen third will produce a trick. Still, when dummy rates to be relatively entryless, it's usually wrong to adopt an aggressive defense. So I choose a more passive three of hearts.


NORTH
♠ K 6 5 4
J 10 4 2
9 3
♣ 8 7 2


WEST
♠ Q 9
Q 9 7 5 3
Q 10 4
♣ Q 6 5




WestNorthEastSouth
Pass1
PassPass1 NT2
(All pass)


It appears partner did bid one notrump with a doubleton diamond. My best guess is that partner is 4-2-2-5, giving declarer 3-2-6-2.

Dummy plays the deuce, partner plays the eight, and declarer wins with the ace, presumably from ace-king doubleton. Declarer plays the three of clubs. I'm not sure what the point of this play is, but I see no reason to be on lead. I play the five. Partner takes dummy's seven with his nine and returns the six of hearts. Declarer pitches the four of clubs and I'm in with the queen of hearts.

What's going on? Partner did have three hearts, and he must have at least three spades, so why did he bid one notrump instead of doubling? As for partner's high cards, he has the heart king and presumably the diamond king. For declarer's club plays to make any sense, declarer must have ace third of clubs, giving partner the king and jack. That's ten high-card points. He can have at most the spade jack or the diamond jack in addition.

The only suit I can afford to play is clubs. I lead the six of clubs, expecting declarer to win with the ace. To my surprise, partner plays the king, and declarer follows with the jack. This is just like playing with Lowenthal. After every trick, I have to reconstruct the hand all over again.

Apparently partner is 4-3-2-4 with the ace-king of clubs and the king of hearts. So he can't have the king of diamonds. He bid one notrump not only with a doubleton diamond but with no stopper? I don't think so. Let's try again. As strange as it seems, declarer must have rebid two diamonds with only five. That means declarer is 4-1-5-3 and partner is 3-3-3-4. I think I have it now.

Partner continues with the ace of clubs, and declarer ruffs with the seven of diamonds. He cashes the spade ace. I drop the queen. I guess I didn't need to do that, since I have a safe exit in hearts. But it can't hurt. (Why do I have the feeling someone's going to post a comment showing how it can hurt?)

Declarer plays the deuce of spades to the king and ruffs out partner's king of hearts. He plays three rounds of diamonds, putting me in with the queen. I have to concede a trick to dummy's jack of hearts. But all declarer has to pitch on it is his fourth spade. He still has a spade loser, so he takes eight tricks, making his contract.


NORTH
♠ K 6 5 4
J 10 4 2
9 3
♣ 8 7 2


WEST
♠ Q 9
Q 9 7 5 3
Q 10 4
♣ Q 6 5


EAST
♠ J 7 3
K 8 6
8 6 2
♣ A K 10 9


SOUTH
♠ A 10 8 2
A
A K J 7 5
♣ J 4 3



I like partner's one notrump bid. With three diamonds, he wants to discourage me from bidding too much if I have diamond length as well. He doesn't necessarily need a diamond stopper to make one notrump. And if I passed over one diamond with a good enough hand to raise him to three, diamonds is probably my best suit.

How would we do in two hearts? The defense would presumably start with the ace and king of diamonds, then the jack of diamonds (suit-preference for spades) ruffed. West must then cash the spade king and play a spade to his partner's ace. A fourth diamond allows him to ruff with the ten, forcing dummy to overruff with the king. When East gets in with the ace of hearts, a fifth diamond promotes the trump jack. Down two.

At the other table, the auction begins the same way, but West makes the ill-advised two heart call over two diamonds. I have hopes of picking up three imps. The defense starts with three rounds of diamonds, but North shifts to a low spade instead of the king. The defense can no longer score a trump promotion, and declarer escapes for down one, pushing the board.

Me: -90
Jack: -100

Score on Board 121: 0 IMPs
Total: -17 IMPs

No comments:

Post a Comment