Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Board 64

Board 64
Opponents vulnerable

♠ K Q 2 6 5 3 J 6 5 4 ♣ 10 5 2

Partner opens one notrump in second seat, and RHO passes. I pass, and LHO balances with two diamonds, showing the majors. RHO bids two hearts. I pass, and LHO bids two spades. I assume he is showing a six-four pattern. I suspect he has a hand I would have opened one spade. Two spades is passed around to me, and I see no reason to disturb it. Partner leads the ace of diamonds.


NORTH
♠ 8
Q 4 2
10 7 3 2
♣ A Q 8 6 3




EAST
♠ K Q 2
6 5 3
J 6 5 4
♣ 10 5 2

West
North
East
South
Pass
1 NT
Pass
Pass
2 1
Pass
2
Pass
2 ♠
(All pass)
1Majors

Declarer has nine to eleven high-card points. If he has ace sixth of spades, he has four spade tricks and two clubs, which means to beat this we have to hold him to one heart trick. Is that even possible? Maybe. Perhaps he has something like

♠ A J x x x x J x x x Q x ♣ J.

In any event, I see no reason to suggest a shift. Dummy plays the deuce of diamonds, I encourage with the six, and declarer plays the eight. Partner continues with the king of diamonds--three--four--four of spades. So my first construction is wrong.  It appears declarer is 6-4-1-2.  Since he doesn't have the diamond queen, he must have either the club king or a high heart honor.  Declarer plays the ace of spades--three--eight--deuce and continues with the five of spades--nine--club three--queen.

We can take at most two heart tricks, so we need to tap declarer out and score a long diamond to beat this. Let's give partner ace-jack-ten of hearts and the king of clubs. If I tap declarer, he will be down to two trumps. He can play a club to the queen and ace, ruff a club, then play his last trump. The best we can do now is to take one heart and a diamond, since declarer can reach dummy with the queen of hearts to cash club tricks.

Maybe I need to postpone the tap. What if I play a heart, attempting to kill dummy's entry? I suspect declarer does best to play the king of hearts. Partner must take his ace. Now what? If partner plays another heart, declarer can win and play a third heart. His long heart is good, and he still has enough trumps to retain control. If partner taps him instead, he can ruff out the clubs and play his last spade. He's tapped out, but we have only one diamond to cash. Dummy takes the rest. I guess declarer can make it whatever I return. But a heart shift might make it a little harder for him.

I shift to the heart six--seven (a good sign)--ace (a bad sign)--deuce. Partner returns the ten of hearts to declarer's jack. Our only remaining trick is the king of spades. Making three.


NORTH
♠ 8
Q 4 2
10 7 3 2
♣ A Q 8 6 3


WEST
♠ 9 3
A 10 9
A K Q 9
♣ K J 7 4


EAST
♠ K Q 2
6 5 3
J 6 5 4
♣ 10 5 2


SOUTH
♠ A J 10 7 6 5 4
K J 8 7
8
♣ 9



I was right. Declarer did have a hand I would have opened one spade. I doubt that opening would have led to a different result. Though it turns out you can make four spades by finessing spades through East.

On the auction we had, I would have doubled two spades for take-out with partner's hand (see Countering Notrump Interference), but Jack probably doesn't play that double for take-out. I'm not sure what would have happened then. In theory, the opponents could double us in three diamonds and collect 500. (Club to the queen, low club back, ruffed, and a heart shift.)  But that would require a string of spectacular decisions on their part.

At the other table, the auction is the same. My teammate plays a club to the ace and takes the double spade finesse to make four. I'm not sure that's the right play. If East has a spade honor, your contract is in no danger even if you play spades out of your hand. But if West has king-queen-nine fourth of spades behind you, it would be nice to find that out before you give up your option to take the club finesse. Perhaps my teammate judged East would not have sold to two spades with a singleton spade and six high-card points. Whatever his reason, we pick up an imp.

Me: -140
Jack: -170

Score on Board 64: +1 IMP
Total: +158 IMPs

No comments:

Post a Comment